Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Weather Forecasting

I really can't explain it, but recently I have had an increasing urge to get back into the meteorology game. Perhaps it is because of the economic condition of the country and how that all will roll down hill and smack me right on the forehead - along with putting a couple hundred, if not thousands of pilots out of work.

Recently I had an offer from an old co-worker who runs an Air National Guard weather shop in Florida to come down and work for him, only catch is that I'd have to enlist in the Florida ANG for a 6 year period. 15,000 sign on bonus, and flexibility to work around my real world schedule, and if needed a full time position (if I am placed out of work for any period of time).

It is extremely tempting, extremely.

I enjoyed the work, was great at it (2006 ACC Weather Airmen of the Year), and absolutely enjoyed the challenge of developing a sound forecast for troops in combat and fighter crews in the CENTAF/CENTCOM AOR.

My time as a forecaster were great, but more than anything I enjoyed the ability of supervising a team of forecasters. Having the talent and determination to make sure we all put out a quality forecast product meant a lot to me considering who we worked for. Troops in combat depended on a timely forecast of thunderstorms, high winds, and visibility limiting events (dust storms). Fighter crews relied on the very same items for departing onto missions - and ultimately - their safe return back to home base, along with whatever specialized forecast product that was developed for their mission enroute.

Forecasting for the desert is more complex than what people think. Hot, dusty, and hot really do not satisfy the full range of weather scenarios. Yes, it does rain, yes it does snow. The region is the size of two United States, with mountains, water sources, and an extremely tropical climate. They get weather that isn't hot and windy, and dusty.

Nevertheless, this blog entry comes from another 2 hours and 40 minutes of remaining ready reserve. Part of me wishes they will call me to go fly a trip someplace, and start eating into my 4 days of availability.

Anyway - til next time.

No comments: